Reading Connections is an adult literacy agency that provides free and confidential services that help to improve basic literacy skills, self-esteem, community service and leadership skills among new adult readers who live or work in Guilford County, NC.
Our approach to teaching is student-centered which means:
- Students are at the heart of instruction.
- Students use life experience and knowledge of spoken English when learning to read and write.
- Materials are tied to students' goals, interests, and immediate real life needs.
- Students are seen as equal partners in the learning process.
- Most students are matched with a tutor and work one-on-one. Students may also work in a small group based on their needs, goals, and individual reading level. Reading Connections serves a wide range of students from those who are non-literate to those who are working towards their GED (high school equivalency). We work with native and non-native English speakers from a variety of cultural, ethnic and socio-economic backgrounds.
Why do adults come to Reading Connections? There are many reasons, including:
- To gain independence
- To improve job skills to get a new or a better job
- To read to their children or grandchildren
- To learn to speak, read and write the English language
- To prepare for the GED test
- To read the Bible or other spiritual materials better
Reading Connections students are learning to do things that many literate adults take for granted, including:
- Getting a driver's license
- Casting a vote in an election
- Helping children with homework
- Reading a prescription label